An Open Letter To My People

Monday, January 2, 2017


My Darlings,

We made it!! Happy 2017!! I don't know about you, but the sun has been BEAMING through my parent's living room window since yesterday morning, and for the first time ever, it really feels like a New Year. I'm not sure why this year feels so different from all the others. Maybe in part because there was such an overwhelming, worldwide, collective-desire to leave 2016 behind. But truthfully, I felt different. Unlike every other family member of mine, my eyes welled with tears when the clock struck midnight on January 1st. I was SO sad to see 2016 go.

2016 was an enormous year for me both personally and professionally. I landed some major dream clients, from Dior to Emirates, filmed a campaign commercial in Hong Kong with DFS (absolute bliss!!), had a gallery show with Gemfields and IMG during NYFW, shared breakfast with the incomparable DVF, and got a mention in the New York Times. I paid off all my student/start-up debt and finally made it safely into the black. But beyond all that, 2016 took me around the world to make peace with my past, in ways I can't quite explain here. I revisited some of my favorite places on earth but also saw so many of my dream destinations for the very first time.

When I write all that down, it feels fairly obvious why I would hate to bid adieu to 2016. But life, and all of its great mysteries, do not allow you to live in the past. We must move forward no matter how hard we try to stay still. So the question I can't help but ask myself is: what in the world comes next? How the hell do I sustain this momentum? Better yet, how, and in it what ways do I want to take my business to the next level? Ok, so maybe I have more than one question for myself here, ha!

You see my friends, one slightly negative thing about Instagram is it tends to become a never-ending highlight reel of all the best moments of one's life. No one, or very few of us, are posting moments of defeat or self-doubts. I never post the frustrations of chasing late payments or navigating difficult areas of running your own business. But it's all there and it's all true. I'm not saying those highlight moments aren't real, because they absolutely are. But so too are all the cloudy, murky moments of confusion. I guess I can't help but feel the tense pull between needing to do what's best for me and my business behind the scenes, and keeping the color filled world of Travel Write Draw alive on Instagram.

What makes this year slightly more difficult is that I have to decide (rather soon!!) whether to pursue my Green Card or renew my O-1 for another 3 years. After 8 years in NYC, it absolutely feels like home, but I have to ask myself whether I really see myself here for the long run. I ultimately need to want to stay the next 7-8 years in NYC in order for the Green Card to be worth it...

I wish I could conclude something here and say that I know how everything is going to play out, but that would be a boldface lie. Part of the great thrill and challenge is NOT knowing. The irony is, I just finished writing a piece for you all here on the top 5 tips for freelance fashion illustrators, and the truth is, I don't have all the answers. I'm figuring this all out alongside every one of you. Even this holiday break made me a bit anxious over posting less on Instagram for fear of being left behind. How do we stay peaceful, balanced, and in-tuned with ourselves, when the world is so preoccupied with our outside accomplishments?

I hope this letter at the minimum, gives you a little glimpse into my world and current state of mind. No matter how successful we are, there will always be things we dream of accomplishing. And if I can advocate for something positive, it would be to look back on how much you've already done!! Part of why I didn't want to leave 2016 is because I didn't spend enough time relishing in all that was good while it was happening. And now I feel like the slate has been wiped clean again and we start from the beginning. Lets be real, you can't win an Oscar every damn year, but maybe, just maybe, you can win something even greater: peace of mind. The glory, after all, is in you...

I look forward to sharing this new chapter with you as it reveals itself.

Much love always and Godspeed,
Meag xx

26 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. All years are a little bit scary at the beginning. If you think back: Maybe 2016 was it too? And then: you see, it worked perfect. Let's hope and wish (and work for it) that this new set of 12 months is also full of good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Virginia.Romo that is so very true! I likely had the same feelings last year but it feels too far to remember now. I need to give 2017 a chance and know that I will give it my all xx

      Delete
  2. I like it. So much information. Simply nice and beautiful.
    regards,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the good article. I like your idea, I learn so much.

    - gustavo woltmann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing the realness behind your creative life. I too feel that every day - the push and pull - my goal this year is simply to try to ENJOY. I'm so inspired by you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Barbra I'm so happy to hear that you take inspiration from this post. I want to remain as authentic with my audience as possible. All the best in 2017 xx

      Delete
  5. Wow! Congratulations on your success! Reading all that really inspires me especially the part about your new clients and how you paid off your student debt!!! (MY GOAL!!). I'm an aspiring fashion illustrator and your a great example! Keep working hard and producing beautiful things into the world!

    Best,

    Sally Noemi Melgar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Snmfashiion awe thank you so, so much Sally for the beautiful comment!! I'm thrilled to hear that you found this post inspiring. I've always wanted to maintain honesty and authenticity with my community on here. Best of luck to you my dear xx

      Delete
  6. Wow, what a beautiful letter Meagan!! I also was one of those persons eager to leave 2016 behind, and I just knew too that 2017 was going to be better (and so far it is!).

    Oh my, as a fashion illustrator myself, I totally get the anxiety of feeling like falling behind - I mean I have 8 years as a freelancer, but I started using Instagram only a couple of months (CRAY!!)

    Love your work + your authenticity, and can't wait to see more of it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Karen Avila happy to hear 2017 is off to a great start for you!! Wow - 8 years!! I'm a firm believer that the cream always rises, so don't worry about just starting on Instagram, the numbers will come xx

      Delete
  7. Nice and good article. It is very useful for me to learn and understand easily. Thanks for sharing your valuable information and time. Please keep updating.
    Python training in Chennai
    oracle training in chennai
    hadoop training in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  8. This information is impressive; I am inspired by your post writing style & how continuously you describe this topic.
    Java training in Chennai
    selenium training in chennai
    informatica training in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your blog alot if any one need to setup canon printer you canon visit canon.com/ijsetup.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm impressed to read this nice post but what lost in past is gone. So we should make some new resolutions before starting new year. best park and fly deals

    ReplyDelete
  11. My personal preference is always with travelling. I just so calming.
    Gatwick airport cheap parking
    Gatwick park and ride

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a Good Work really Nice place and the pictures Are Awesome Thanks For Sharing

    meet and greet gatwick

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Meagan! I’m Thien from Vietnam. Thanks greatly for your sharing! That’s really helpful! Do you have any idea of where to go in such hot days? Sapa, Vietnam remains as one of the most outstanding destinations to avoid the heat. You can head to Sapa again to enjoy fresh air, cool weather and spectacular natural scenery and remember to buy something as gifts for your family and friends. You can refer to Top 5 Sapa souvenirs to bring home for various useful suggestions.

    Hope to see you in Vietnam!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was looking for hotels near grand central station in nyc but I would up here. I'll check out your new site now. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here is Mr Benjamin contact Email details,lfdsloans@outlook.com. / lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Or Whatsapp +1 989-394-3740 that helped me with loan of 90,000.00 Euros to startup my business and I'm very grateful,It was really hard on me here trying to make a way as a single mother things hasn't be easy with me but with the help of Le_Meridian put smile on my face as i watch my business growing stronger and expanding as well.I know you may surprise why me putting things like this here but i really have to express my gratitude so anyone seeking for financial help or going through hardship with there business or want to startup business project can see to this and have hope of getting out of the hardship..Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was cured of herpes simplex virus his email ____________________________ I am so happy,

    -GENITAL AND ORAL HERPES
    -HPV
    -DIABETES
    -WEAK ERECTION
    -VIRGINAL PROBLEM
    -WHOOPING COUGH
    – HEPATITIS A,B AND C
    -COLD SORE
    -LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION
    -LOW SPERM COUNT
    -STAPHYLOCOCCUS AUREUS
    -STROKE
    -IMPOTENCE
    -PILE
    -HYPERTENSION
    -MENOPAUSE DISEASE
    -CANCER
    -SHINGLES
    -FIBROID
    -YEAST INFECTION
    -BARENESS/INFERTILITY….

    Robinsonbuckler11@gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground