Postcard from La Mamounia, Marrakech

Sunday, June 14, 2015

On May 21st, I embarked on a week long magical journey through Marrakech, Morocco with boutique hotel experts Mr & Mrs Smith. The purpose of the trip was to experience the city through the distinctive lens of 3 different properties. When I learned that I would be staying at La Mamounia hotel for part of my stay, I knew I would be delving into the world of luxury. I had seen photos of its interior through Jimmy Choo's recent shoe campaign with Zanita and Tuula Vintage, but NOTHING compares to experiencing this magnificent 5 star retreat in real life.




La Mamounia is located in the heart of the Medina, tucked away behind fortress like walls. When you enter through its towering gate doors, you leave the stress of the city behind you, and are immediately enveloped in the finest sensory experience one could only imagine. From the signature Fragonard Dattes fragrance diffusing the air, to the miraculous zellige tile works, you can't help but feel transported to another date and time...



When I arrived at the hotel, I was immediately greeted by their public relations manager and coordinator with a beautiful plate of fresh dates and almond milk (a customary Moroccan dish). Their attention to detail and hospitality was beyond comforting. As a guest, I really felt heard and acknowledged. I was then taken to my room, which was to my greatest privilege, located on the top floor in the furthest corner with a wraparound double balcony, and view of La Mamounia's gardens, and Jemaa el-Fnaa. When I walked inside I felt like a disney princess (and I'm not one to naturally identify with disney characters) but it was just so otherworldly regal. My jaw hit the floor as tears simultaneously streamed down my cheeks. I was officially awestruck by beauty.

On the living room table sat a handwritten letter welcoming me to my stay, accompanied by fresh flowers, fruit, and a bottle of wine. On the bed rested a La Mamounia bag with a personalized itinerary for my stay there. I was invited to enjoy dinner at their Moroccan restaurant, breakfast every morning by the pool, and all the wondrous beauty this hotel had to offer...




And so I took it all in, every last drop...




I enjoyed a long massage at the hotel's spa, relaxed and illustrated poolside, and later floated into the Medina for a bit more shopping (artful bargaining). On my last morning at the hotel, I was asked to once again meet with the incredibly sweet pr and marketing team for a final tour of the grounds, including some of the private riads and presidential suites...





As an artist, I couldn't help but appreciate the remarkable craftsmanship and highly ornamental details exhibited in each and every room. Staying at La Mamounia was such an incredible honor and an absolute feast for the eyes. It was a once in a lifetime (hopefully twice) experience that I will cherish forever. A BIG thank you to their communications team and to my wonderful friends at Mr & Mrs Smith for making this all possible. And now back to enjoying the memories...sigh...

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! Make me wanna travel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Blindcopy are you still living in Dubai? I would love to finally meet you one day! xx

      Delete
  2. Wonderful pictures and illustrations from a wonderful journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Mariejaninemurmann thank you so much!! Indeed it was a wonderful journey xx

      Delete
  3. Amazing place and inspiring interiors! Fantastic shots and adventure!;-)

    www.PurseFixation.com
    Toast your Purse with an Outfit!
    Fashion Advice, Events and More

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Purse Fixation yes, definitively I am obsessed with Contemporary Moroccan interior design xx

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground